Day 68 -28 Aug - Dingwall

Day 68 - 28 Aug - Dingwall - 149kms

   What a day! It started out very foggy and cold. The fog didn't burn off for quite some time. I was a little nervous that the drivers couldn't see me. I lost my rear light somewhere on the road but I found a little bike shop today and replaced it. I feel better now.


   We were on the north Cabot Trail today! Wow! What a ride! There are three mountains,  the French (455 meters), MacKenzie (372 meters)  and the North Mountain (445 meters). They were so steep I don't know trucks were getting up and down without issues!




   Even with the new cassette on my bike, I had a really tough time climbing. Those assents went on for kilometres! I found out later the grades were between 13% and 16%! Holy crap! It was no wonder  I had to stop every time my heart felt like it was jumping out of my chest!
   The decents were super scary! I am not a confident decender at the best of times but today I actually had to stop and walk the bike down to more level ground!

  The road construction in places did not help. I would nervously descend and I'd have to stop for a flag man. I felt like I was wearing my brakes out completely in order to stop in time!
   It all wasn't scary. The views are spectacular! I stopped at most of the viewing areas to take it all in. I feel like I've accomplished something pretty amazing today even if it did take me all day to do it!


   Tomorrow we will be riding the remainder of the North trail. I hope it's not as daunting!

Comments

  1. Super impressed Emily - love following your ride and thankful I can follow vicariously!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The origins of my ride in a nutshell

Day 72 - 1 Sep - St. John's

Day 29 - 20 July - Caliper Lake