The origins of my ride in a nutshell

This year marks Canada's sesquicentennial, and fifty years since I was a sixth grader pining to go to Montreal to join in the Centennial celebrations. For the whole year our curriculum was Expo-obsessed and everyone was going except me.

No one seemed to care that I was celebrating on my own. I lapped up the coverage and information from fellow students who had travelled to Montreal with their families which left me with a desire to see this exhibit with my own eyes.

I wanted to see the world beyond London, Ont., but in sixth grade it was a clearly an insurmountable task. The germ was planted. I was bitten by a travel bug and the antidote was to see the rest of my country.

By the time high school hit, all the seniors were making the great pilgrimage to B.C. and hitchhiking across the county, but, again that seemed like an insurmountable task. Shit happened... again.

In 2014 Olympian Clara Hughes cycled across Canada to raise awareness for mental health. I watched her progress religiously. I followed her journey with a passion and her adventure ignited my desire to get out onto the open road to see my country.

My decision to retire two years later was fuelled by my drive to follow in Clara's tire tracks. "Shite or get off the pot" as my grandma would say.

The coaches at the YMCA have been helping me realize my dream with strength training and endurance cycling classes.

After extensive research I settled on Cycle Canada who sets you up with a group of like-minded cyclist (nut bars!) who want to see the country in a similar way. They provide training, nutrition, and logistical advice to arm you with the tools you need to cycle a minimum of 80 km/day for 10 weeks.

I've been cycling for nearly a year, however, I officially began my training schedule the beginning of March. I have to complete 2,000 km by mid-June.

I hit the open road in Vancouver on June 22. Follow my progress here for 10 weeks as I toil over mountains, whizz through the prairies, and enjoy our beautiful landscape. I finish in St. John's, Nfld. on Sept. 1.


My husband, Crunchy, has been very supportive of me on this venture. He will bravely spent those 10 weeks pining after me and fearing for my safety every night. I would not be able to do this without all of his support!

Wish me luck!

Emily "Nut Bar" Logan a.k.a. the Cross Country Flyer!



Comments

  1. Looking forward to following you on cross Canada adventure.
    Best of luck in this awesome endeavor!
    Rudy Kotar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rudy, it's been tough but, I wouldn't have it any other way!

      Delete
  2. We've been following your progress and are so impressed with you and this amazing ride. Continued success and good health, Emily!! Valerie and David

    ReplyDelete
  3. waoo nice post about "he origins of my ride in a nutshell"

    Thanks,

    Gold Jackpot Call

    ReplyDelete
  4. King Island Accommodation Cottages Offers range of Accommodation on King Island of Affordable Price.
    Source http://kingislandaccommodationcottages.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. very informative post regarding he origins of my ride in a nutshell

    Visit: NIOS Admission 2018

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 - 20 July - Caliper Lake

Day 72 - 1 Sep - St. John's