Day 72 - 1 Sep - St. John's

Day 72 -  1 Sep - St. John's - 83kms

   Today started out rainy and overcast again! Our mood had not changed. We ate whatever was left on the truck as this would be our last breakfast together.
   Whoa! The hills were very challenging and relentless! The rain was steady and colder than yesterday. We did have a tailwind though. That was a relief.
   It should have been a day of reflection and slowly making our way to the finish but the weather made the day all about getting there and getting it over with. I was so cold, my hand and feet were frozen. 
   We were to meet at the Tim Horton's at 70k, eat, and wait for everyone to arrive. We were then to ride as a group to Signal Hill. I was too cold for that. I stopped, had a coffee, and kept going. I knew what was coming. The road up to Signal Hill is about 2 kms long, a 12% grade, and incredibly windy!
   I arrived at the hill and did my best to climb it. It was not pretty, but I did it! I was happy I was still grinding away up the hill when I saw Doug waving wildly at me! He was a welcome sight!
   After hugs and kisses, we uncorked some prosecco and I got the hell of my bike! 
   The group was behind me. We waited for them and cheered them on up the hill until they arrived at the top! It was awesome! We all congratulated each other and took a group pictures! 
   We immediately took my bike to the Canary bike shop to have it boxed and went to the hotel to recoup.
   Later in the evening we had one last planned meal together. We talked about what made the tour memorable to everyone. After an enjoyable evening, we took another group picture and said our final goodbyes.
   I will be sifting through my memories of each ride for months to come. I have finally fulfilled my dream  but I couldn't have done it without the support and understanding from my wonderful husband, Doug!






   

Comments

  1. Congrats on a great ride and memories across Canada. Love to get together with you to hear more stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emily - well done! Super Impressed with your accomplishment. Loved reading your blogs and sometimes I wish I was with you....and other times I thought....better you than me! Yay Doug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Emily!! We're SO happy for you! Can't wait to get together and hear your stories.
    Valerie and David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! What an accomplishment! It's been a lot of fun tracking your progress. Looking forward to hearing more....Anne and Fab

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Emily! What an incredible accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The origins of my ride in a nutshell

Day 29 - 20 July - Caliper Lake