Day 71 - 31 Aug - Clark's Beach

Day 71 - 31 Aug - Clark's Beach- 93km

   Finally here in Newfoundland!!!  After taking pictures of each other at the 'Welcome to Newfoundland' sign, we started out for the day.
   The weather was overcast when we got off the ferry but, it quickly changed to rain. I was glad I decided to wear my heavier rain jacket. Because we disembarked at 10am, we didn't get started until 11am. The bikes had to be taken down off the truck and reassembled. That made for a longer day than we anticipated.
   There were little villages dotted along the route which would be very picturesque if it was sunny but it wasn't. We had a driving rain and a brutal headwind. My poor little lightweight bike was buffeted by the offshore gusts! There were many times I got off my bike to walk past the bay areas because I was sure I was going to lose control and fall off.
    The terrain was challenging. Newfoundland is not called the 'Rock' for nothing! The hills were relentless! All the euphoria we had earlier about being so close to realizing our dream was completely gone! We arrived at the campground wet, bedraggled, and hungry. I did not relish having to set up my tent in the pouring rain!
    As I arrived at the truck, I was told we would not be tenting. We were given the upstairs community room to bunk in! I was so happy! That meant I would not have to ever again take my tent out of the bag! My tenting days are over!
    Tomorrow we'll be in St. John's! Hoo! Hoo!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The origins of my ride in a nutshell

Day 72 - 1 Sep - St. John's

Day 29 - 20 July - Caliper Lake