Day 9 - 30 June - Golden

Day 9 - 30 June - Golden - 117km

   Oh my God what a day of climbing! We climbed the Rogers Pass! It's 1330 metres! It took me quite awhile to get up there and it wasn't pretty, but I got it done! That leaves one more biggy, Kicking Horse Pass. It's the highest one we'll climb.
   This was our first encounter with the snow sheds. These concrete sheds keep the snow off the road. They can be dark or have many narrow windows which causes the sunlight to go in and out of light. It's very disconcerting. 
    I've been having some stomach issues. I didn't think I would have to train my stomach! Everyone here has gone on long bike trips for extended periods of time and know what and how to eat. I'm learning this on the fly. I should know better as I've run many marathons and eat accordingly, but I don't run them day after day after day!
   After a total bonk on the Coquihalla Pass, I've learned not to stuff myself like the young guys do! The amounts of food they eat is astounding!
    I' ve been experimenting since Merritt and I've learned to eat an egg in the morning and in the afternoon. Oatmeal in the morning. The peanut butter thing is not working out! I know! So sad! I make a small sandwich and I eat it, but it's not my friend any more.  I think I should rename the blog, the Beef Jerky Journey! Jerky is my new friend! I eat many small meals though out the day so I don't I get nauseous and bonk. Oranges are a particular favourite.
    I did't get the water thing at first which added to my misery. Now I drink all the time.
    We crossed at km 61 into Mountain time zone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The origins of my ride in a nutshell

Day 72 - 1 Sep - St. John's

Day 44- 4 Aug - Owen Sound